As long as you know what you're doing is right

My grandmother used to say to my mother, "It doesn't matter what anyone else says or does as long as you know what you're doing is right." My mother would in turn share that with me.
This truth that my grandmother taught was exercised by my mother when she met the missionaries as a 17 year-old young woman.
She immediately recognized the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and desired to be baptized. Her desire to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was not accepted by her immediate family. Her baptism was openly mocked by her own mother.
However, it was the truth that her own mother had taught her, "It doesn't matter what anyone else says for does as long as you know what you're doing is right," that contributed to her decision to follow the promptings of the Spirit and to be baptized.
This decision put stress on her relationship with her family. During my grandmother's last weeks on earth, my mother visited her. My grandmother, with the limited ability for conversation that she possessed at that time, apologized to my mother for her actions. She expressed pride in my mother's accomplishments and wondered how "two peasants" like my parents could raise such wonderful children. My mother acknowledges that doing what she knew was right when she was a young adult and trying to live that throughout her life has made all the difference.
"It doesn't matter what anyone else says or does as long as you know what you're doing is right."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking

One Among the Crowd