God is watching over me

I am an organized person. I like to plan. I make lists. I like to strategize. I like things to be somewhat predictable. If something occurs that is beyond my control, yet I'm required to endure it, I get frustrated and sometimes even freak out.
I grew up in Florida and the western desert. I haven't really encountered much snow. I was living in northern Utah a few years ago where snow is abundant. Learning to drive in the snow was not a delightful task.
I had gone home for the weekend and was driving north on a Sunday morning to return to my apartment. I had left early in the morning, because I had an obligation to fulfill at church. It was late fall and the snow season hadn't started.
At that time in my life, I was notorious for speeding on the freeway. As usual, I was going much faster than the speed limit. As I approached a small city, I was prompted to slow down. The Spirit whispered to my soul that something would happen very soon.
I slowed down a little at a time. Only a few minutes later, the sky grew dark and I entered a small snowstorm. I continued to tap my brakes to slow down a little at a time.
Suddenly, I hit some black ice or a slick patch of snow and lost control of my vehicle. My car faced every direction but forward. I spent time going sideways and backwards down the freeway.
Admidst all this chaos, I was surprisingly calm. While still traveling sideways, I was able to maneuver my car toward the shoulder so the friction from the dirt would help slow me down.
My roommate and her boyfriend had been asleep in the back seat and woke up at this time. All they could see were countless desert brush passing quickly right in front of the car. My roommate's boyfriend asked me what was going on. I calmly replied that I had it under control.
When the car stopped, I called my mother. I explained to her what happened and she called the insurance agent. A passing SUV stopped and offered their assistance. They gave us a ride to town.
Normally, I coud not have refrained from bawling hysterically under these circumstances. However, I was very peaceful.
It was right then that I knew that God knew me as a unique individual. He knew that without the prior warning, I likely would not have been able to think clearly and quickly. He sent the Holy Ghost to prompt me. I was prepared emotionally for this experience. I also was greatly blessed to be prompted to slow down.
Sometimes God puts in our paths experiences to remind us who we are and why we're here on Earth. I was reminded that I was a cherished daughter of God. He knows me and cares deeply for me.
I know God lives. He knows us all. He knows our strengths and our weaknesses. The Holy Ghost communicates to us what God would have us do and know.
I am so incredibly grateful for this experience. I have such a strong testimony of the nature of God as a result of this.
He IS watching over me.

Comments

Armor of Light said…
oh the sweet power of the Holy Ghost in our lives. What an awesome gift from God.

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking

One Among the Crowd