Off the Marked Path

The High Councilman who spoke in my ward today shared a beautiful analogy from his experiences this weekend. I will attempt to retell it.

I participated in a 95 mile motorcycle race near a small town in the Utah desert. The land is very open with very little development.
The people who put on the race marked the entire course with trail markers. There were special markers that were used to denote danger ahead. A single stake with an orange placard signaled the riders to be aware of an upcoming obstacle. Two stakes marked with orange suggested slowing down for a moderate danger ahead. Three markers warned the riders that a serious obstacle would soon be encountered and that every measure should be used to slow down.
During the race, there was so much dirt flying because of all the other bikers. I couldn't see well, and I was forced to eat dirt. I saw to the right and left of the trail a few tires marks where riders had temporarily left the path. I looked around for dead riders suggesting that I shouldn't leave the path. When I didn't see any immediate harm in leaving the trail, I veered to the side to use the opportunity to pass others.
It was working. I was no longered hindered by the flying dirt. I found myself passing people with ease.
I passed a couple more people who seemed to be slowing down. When I figured out why, it was too late.
Just ahead of me was "the grand canyon." I didn't have time to slow down. I decided to downshift and pull back on my bike, so I wouldn't hit like a lawn dart on the other side.
Miraculously, I survived, but both my bike and I paid dearly for my foolishness. I was able to continue the race never again desire to stray from the clearly marked course.

That's how it is in life. We have the scriptures, our church leaders, and the Holy Ghost to mark our path. We can be warned of obstacles ahead if we remain on this path. When we stray from the path, we leave behind the markers. We are left to encounter the often unforseen dangers of life alone. Some of us survive, but we pay dearly for our choices. Others of us lose our way completely and never make it back.
Even though it may seem easier or enticing to leave the path and take the world on ourselves, we risk our lives when we do so.

Comments

Unknown said…
I loved that story. Thanks for sharing it. Very good one. It's so nice to have a story you can hold on to that makes you really think.

Popular posts from this blog

He lives to calm my troubled heart

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking