12 Ways to Contribute to Family History

Note: This post is from an LDS perspective using FamilySearch as the primary tool; however, many of the options in this list are available and helpful for those not of the LDS faith. FamilySearch tools, resources, and family trees are accessible and usable by everyone. FamilySearch accounts are free.

In November 2009, I prepared my grandmother's name to take to the Temple. This action was the gateway to now almost five years of family history research and the performance of vital Temple work for hundreds of my grandcestors. As I share my experiences with others, many often state a desire to participate in family history work but follow-up with statements limiting their actions. Many are lost and don't know where to begin. Some assume that their dedicated grandmothers, aunts, uncles, and cousins have completed all the work there is to do within their family history and think they have nothing to contribute. Your family history work is far from done, even if the vicarious work for your multiple generations of direct line ancestors is complete. Below are 12 ways you can contribute to your family history.

1. Perform a vicarious ordinance for a family member.
Accept the Temple challenge. Linked on the Temple challenge site are videos and tutorials for the very simple process of finding family members whose work needs to be performed.

2. Prepare a new family name for Temple work.
Enter vital information for a family member whose name is currently not recorded in FamilySearch. You may be surprised to find records for family members who did not have an affiliation with the LDS faith already recorded in FamilySearch. Always perform searches for your family members first before creating new records. After exhausting a search, collect as much vital information as possible (such as birth and death dates and locations) and create a new individual within your family tree.

I had incorrectly assumed that it was a challenging process to prepare a family member's record for Temple work. My first experience, with my grandmother, took a matter of minutes as I texted my mother for vital information and typed in her responses. Within a couple minutes, I had the necessary (Family Ordinance Request) form to take to the Temple to perform my grandmother's work.

3. Attach a vital record (marriage, census, military, social security, ...) to a person in your family tree.
Every vital record adds more detail to your family member's record and helps to create their story. Often these vital records contain names of other family members or other data that will help you locate more records or more family members. FamilySearch has streamlined the process for attaching vital records as explained in this blog post. This is a worthwhile endeavor for every family member in your family tree as new records are added every day through the efforts of volunteer indexers.

4. Upload and attach a photo of a family member.
If you can facebook, you can family history.
1. Snap or scan a family photo.
2. Open your FamilySearch Memories app.
3. Upload the photo.
4. Tag your grandcestors.
Celebrate! Your added content is now available for your whole family!

Photos can easily be added from your computer by dragging and dropping files (even several at once) at familysearch.org/photos

5. Record a memory of a person.

The same FamilySearch Memories app can be used to easily record a story, whether as text or audio. Headed to a family gathering? Briefly interview a handful of family members or ask them to share a favorite family story. Record these interactions (as audio or text) within the Memories app. Link these audio recordings to family members, and they are now accessible by all.
Go home and transcribe these audio recordings later if desired.
Or write stories in your own words and add them to your family tree.

I was moved as I read biographical information for my second great grandparents that was added by my aunt. I was inspired by their life stories, stories I would not have known otherwise if my aunt had not added this content.


6. Attach a prepared document (like scanned journal pages, biographies, letters) to a person in your family tree.

Steps for adding documents are found here.

7. Index a batch to help make vital records searchable.
Indexing is the process of transcribing parts of scanned vital records so that these records can be searchable. Almost gone are the days of seeking out original paper records or scrolling through pages and pages of scanned images of vital records. To date, over a trillion records have been indexed, or made searchable, through the work of volunteers.

I have spent many an hour indexing records. I find it a relaxing and worthwhile way to spend my time.

I prefer to index records for areas where my family members lived, picking projects from the southern United States most frequently. I have a wish that one day I'll index the record of a family member, a record I need. Regardless, indexing these records have helped me in my personal research. I become more familiar with record types, geographical information, as well as trends/norms for a particular area as I work on these projects. Indexing has provided me insight and knowledge that has directly impacted my personal research.

Get started! Or if you are already a registered volunteer, work on a batch right now! (You can finish reading this post later.)


8. Arbitrate a batch to make indexed records available.
An important part in the indexing process is validating the work of other volunteers. Those with indexing experience can request to be an arbitrator. Arbitrators review the work of indexers. Arbitration helps ensure accuracy and is a final step in the indexing process. Currently, there are over 25 million records that need reviewed by arbitrators. Learn how to become an arbitrator here.

9. Help someone create a FamilySearch account.

Are you loving the contributions you are making to your family history? Share the opportunity with someone else. Invite others to create accounts on FamilySearch. Enlist your own family members. People young and old can contribute and these added contributors will aid you in your own endeavors.

10. Teach someone how to index.

I've trained many people on how to index and have encouraged many others to begin indexing. Three other friends and I even created a nerdy Google group where we created indexing quests. That year, one member of our group indexed over 10,000 records. Enlist others to geek out with you, and together you'll make a significant impact.

11. Share with your mom or dad or siblings the contributions you've made to your family tree.

Although my immediate family members have not yet immersed themselves in family history work as I have, they've been so grateful for information I've shared with them. My mom frequently sends me messages of gratitude and inspiration. My brother asked specifically when I visited last to spend some time swapping stories and information with him. We had an enjoyable conversation. Even if they don't ever contribute online, they may be able to provide you with more stories or vital information that will aid you in your efforts.

12. Add to your own personal history through journaling or scrapbooking.



You have something unique you can contribute to your family history. You have the requisite skills to make worthwhile contributions. Set a goal and get to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

He lives to calm my troubled heart

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking