One Among the Crowd

I spoke in church today. My assigned topic was a talk given by Elder Dennis B. Neuenschwander in the April 2008 General Conference. I gave my talk immediately after singing "Close Enough to Touch" by Kenneth Cope.

This woman, whose story is told briefly in Matthew, Mark, and Luke, had an issue of blood for 12 years. She had sought out numerous physicians and used all that she had to seek a cure. None had cured her; her condition was now worse.
Her faith brought her to seek out Jesus. “For she said within herself, if I but touch his garment, I shall be whole.”1 She pressed her way through the crowd that was following Jesus to touch the hem of His garment.
Elder Neuenschwander in his recent conference talk described this crowd. “I picture the crowd itself. It must have been fairly large, as people were pressing in on Jesus. It might have even been a noisy crowd, as people pushed and shoved trying to get a better look at Him. I wonder why they were there. Most, I think, came out of curiosity. Wherever He went, news of His arrival and stories of His miracles preceded Him. Perhaps they expected to see something out of the ordinary, an event not to be missed.”2
This woman was in the crowd knowing that she could be healed. From behind the Savior, she touched the hem of His garment. Jesus, feeling that power had gone out of Him, immediately asked, “Who touched me?”3 With the great number of people in the crowd, the Apostles did not understand why He would ask that. Peter remarked, “Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?”3
With much fear and trembling, the woman confessed that which she had done. She expressed that upon touching His garment, “she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.”4
She was but one among the crowd that day. Elder Neuenschwander continued, “Outwardly, there was little to distinguish her from any other person in the crowd. No one tried to stop her from moving toward Jesus. Certainly, the Apostles neither noticed her nor made any attempt to stop her. But there was something that set her apart from all the others in the crowd that day. Though buried among the thronging mass, she resolutely and quietly pressed forward with a single purpose in mind: to come to the Savior, having faith that He had the power to heal her, that He cared about her and would respond to her need. In this one thing she set herself apart from the crowd. The crowd came to see, but the woman came to be healed.”2
“She declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately.”5 All among the crowd heard her bear witness of the healing power of the Savior, yet not Matthew, Mark, nor Luke record that any more then reached for the Savior’s garment hoping to be healed. Only she among the crowd had the faith to be healed.
Recently in Sunday School, we’ve learned of King Noah. He was a wicked man. “He did not keep the commandments of God, but he did walk after the desires of his own heart…and he did cause his people to commit sin, and do that which was abominable in the sight of the Lord. Yea, and they did commit whoredoms and all manner of wickedness.”6
King Noah had a crowd of wicked priests that followed him. Elder Neuenschwander described them saying, “These were men described as being lifted up in the pride of their hearts, lazy and idolatrous, who spoke lying and vain words to the people.7 They had perverted the ways of the Lord because they had not applied their hearts to understanding.8 When Abinadi delivered his message of repentance, they mocked him and finally put him to death. This was indeed an evil crowd. Yet as the scriptures point out, ‘there was one among them’9 who believed. Alma alone took to heart what Abinadi had taught. With courage he stepped away from the crowd to follow the Lord. The influence of this one man among the crowd on the course of Nephite history is immeasurable.”2
Both this woman and Alma were unique among their crowds. Many were within reach of the power of the Savior, but only this woman possessed the faith to be healed by His power. Alma could have continued living among the crowd, but he could not deny the truth he received through Abinadi’s inspired message. He could no longer tarry with the crowd. He was converted and desired to share the truth with those he met. Acting on these desires to share his testimony, he was able to assist the Spirit in converting the souls of his people.
When you are the one among the crowd, others can’t help but notice you. Alma the younger asked the members of the Church. “Have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?”10 As we step away from the crowd our countenances change and we begin to resemble our Father in Heaven. The farther we distance ourselves from the crowd, the easier it is for others to recognize this resemblance.
I worked as a server in a restaurant for 1 ½ years. During the first hours of my first floor training shift, I began to question my decision to work there. The level of profanity and the topic of conversation were not virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy. I was too shy to say anything. I continued to work there. I noticed that as time passed, the atmosphere changed as well. My coworkers recognized my standards and values by the way I lived my life. I didn’t involve myself in the unpleasant conversation. It wasn’t long before conversations ceased or topic of conversation changed when I was around. My coworkers cleaned up their language when I was working. If an expletive was used, it was immediately followed by profuse apologies. My coworkers were and are some of my most treasured friends, but I didn’t have to change who I was to obtain those friendships. I stepped away from the crowd. As I did so, I feel as though I gained greater respect from my coworkers. They never challenged my beliefs and standards, rather many raised their standards when they were around me.
We should do as the Primary song states. “Dare to do right! Dare to be true! You have a work that no other can do; do it so bravely, so kindly, so well, Angels will hasten the story to tell. Dare to do right! Dare to be true! Other men’s failures can never save you. Stand by your conscience, your honor, your faith; stand like a hero and battle till death. Dare to do right; dare to be true.” 11
Unfortunately, it is not always that easy. Elder Neunschwander said, “Struggling through the crowds of the world can be lonely and hard. Their pull and tug on the individual who wishes to step away to something better can be very strong and very difficult to overcome.”2
Sometimes when we step away from the crowd, we must sacrifice relationships. My mother grew up in a Christian but not overly religious household. My grandmother used to tell her “It doesn’t matter what anyone else says or does as long as you know what you are doing is right.” My mother held on to that truth throughout her life. She was introduced to the gospel by a couple of her friends. She was taught by the missionaries when she was living in the college dorms during her freshman year. Her family did not embrace her acceptance of the Mormon religion. However, my mother knew what her mother had taught her. “It doesn’t matter what anyone else says or does as long as you know what you are doing is right.” My mother chose to be baptized even as her very baptism was mocked by her mother. She stepped away from the crowd, her own family, and chose to do what she knew was right. Her relationships with her family members suffered greatly because of her decision to be baptized. Years passed before these relationships could be rekindled.
The Prophet Joseph Smith is a prime example of one who turned away from the crowd. “So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it.”12 Joseph was “persecuted by those who ought to have been [his] friends.”13
The Prophet Joseph found himself mingling with the crowd. He said, “I was left to all kinds of temptations; and, mingling with all kinds of society, I frequently fell into many foolish errors, and displayed the weakness of youth, and the foibles of human nature; which, I am sorry to say, led me into divers temptations, offensive in the sight of God. In making this confession, no one need suppose me guilty of any great or malignant sins. A disposition to commit such was never in my nature. But I was guilty of levity, and sometimes associated with jovial company, etc., not consistent with that character which ought to be maintained by one who was called of God as I had been.”13
Often we find ourselves, as baptized members of the Church who should be “[standing] as a witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places”14, struggling as Joseph Smith was. We begin mingling with the crowd and carrying on in a way that is not consistent with our divine nature.
This need not stop our progression. We can do as he did. He continued, “As I retired to my bed for the night, I betook myself to prayer and supplication to Almighty God for forgiveness of all my sins and follies, and also for a manifestation to me, that I might know of my state and standing before him; for I had full confidence in obtaining a divine manifestation, as I previously had one.”15
We, too, can approach the Lord in prayer seeking forgiveness. We can also have the courage to ask for our state and standing before God, seeking to know what we lack and how we can improve. We can do this with the confidence that Joseph had that our prayers will be answered.
Joseph’s prayer was answered. “While I was thus in the act of calling upon God, I discovered a light appearing in my room, which continued to increase until the room was lighter than at noonday, when immediately a personage appeared at my bedside.”16 This personage was the angel Moroni. Moroni came to instruct the Prophet and to tell him of the Book of Mormon. God answered Joseph’s prayer by providing him with instruction on what he should do to prepare to receive the Book of Mormon and to fulfill his other divine callings.
Likely, we will not be visited by an angel, but our prayers will be answered. God will bless us with that which we need. The Prophet Joseph, as we sometimes are, was persecuted for turning away from the crowd, but he was also blessed beyond measure. Often, we focus on the persecutions that Joseph faced and that we all face, but we forget to count our blessings. Take time to count your blessings. We should step away from the crowd and seek repentance through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
Elder Neuenschwander explained, “Who, better than the Savior, can reach, support, and ultimately rescue the one among the crowd? He understands what it is to persevere among a disrespectful crowd and still remain true. The worldly crowds do not recognize Him, saying that ‘he hath no form or comeliness’ and that ‘there is no beauty that we should desire him.’ 172
“He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief…; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
“Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.”18
We read in Alma, “And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.”19
“[Jesus Christ], who is so often misjudged and misunderstood, will emerge from being one among the crowd as the Anointed one, the Savior and Redeemer of the world.”2
We, too, can achieve exalted glory if we step away from the crowd. Let us stand apart from the crowd. Let us seek to receive His image in our countenance. Let us navigate through the crowds of the world knowing that Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer, is close enough to touch. He succors us having suffered the pains of all men and having been despised and rejected. He understands us. Turn away from the crowd and turn toward our Savior. I know that Jesus Christ lives and I say these things in His name. Amen.

Comments

Candi said…
Your message has really touched me. Thank you. I really needed that.

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking