In his anger

My family (plus one friend) was playing croquet one night when I showed up to the house. My brother-in-law, Joe, has won every game he's played. My father let me sub in his place. My whole goal was not to win but to keep Joe from winning.
It worked. The family friend, who was in dead last when I started, wound up winning. I finished second to last and Joe lost.
Of course, I went inside the house and carried on with much rejoicing as I sang and danced for my mother and aunt. "I didn't win but Joe didn't either!"
My little sister, being a recently returned missionary, turned this experience into a Family Home Evening lesson.
She asked Joe how his ability to play well was affected as he grew frustrated with my every attempt to roquet his ball out of strategic playing area. He responded that his game was hindered by this cloud of frustration.
My sister shared a couple scriptures from the war chapters in Alma showing how anger can affect our ability to perform.
"And it came to pass that the army which was sent by Moroni, which was led by a man whose name was Teancum, did meet the people of Morianton; and so stubborn were the people of Morianton, (being inspired by his wickedness and his flattering words) that a battle commenced between them, in the which Teancum did slay Morianton and defeat his army, and took them prisoners, and returned to the camp of Moroni."
Teancum did as was necessary. Later, however, he allowed anger into his heart.
"And it came to pass that Teancum in his anger did go forth into the camp of the Lamanites, and did let himself down over the walls of the city. And he went forth with a cord, from place to place, insomuch that he did find the king; and he did cast a javelin at him, which did pierce him near the heart. But behold, the king did awaken his servants before he died, insomuch that they did pursue Teancum, and slew him."
When Teancum approached the situation in anger, he did not have complete control of his ability. He was only able to pierce the king near his heart. This gave the king enough time to send his servants after Teancum.
When we let anger overcome us, our ability to perform is negatively affected. Narrowly missing our intended target because of anger can lead to dire consequences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking

One Among the Crowd