All that I have is thine

At Institute tonight, we talked briefly about the account of the woman who came in and washed Jesus' feet with her tears drying them with her hair and then annointing His feet which is found in Luke 7:37-50. In the midst of this washing, Jesus shares a parable of two debtors being forgiven their debts. The one who had the greater debt forgiven loved the master more. The question then is how does the one with the smaller debt become filled with as much love as the one with the greater debt without acruing more debt (sins)?
I immediately thought of the story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-32. The son who remained home with the father and did as he should was jealous of the prodigal son whose return was grandly celebrated. It is easy to be like second son and question the father why our obedience is not celebrated. We don't experience the same amount of joy upon the embrace of the father if we get caught up in the moment, especially in jealousy. In response to the son's questioning, the father so aptly and keenly reminds his son that "all that I have is thine". (Luke 15:31)

How can I become filled with greater joy even as I find myself with relatively little debt with only small changes of repentance necessary?

I can seek to understand the phrase "all that I have is thine". To start, I can count my blessings, record how the hand of God touches me each day, recognize the tender mercies of the Lord in my life, read and reread my Patriarchal Blessing, and give thanks to God through prayer and my actions.

Comments

Allen Skipper said…
I love your pics of Jesus!

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking

One Among the Crowd