The parable of the laborers of the vineyard

In Institute tonight, we discussed the latter chapters of Matthew. Contained in Matthew 20 is the parable of the laborers in the vineyard. It tells of workers being hired to do the same work during the course of one day. Some are hired first thing in the morning, and others are hired as the day passes. There is a group of workers hired at the very end of the day. When the day is over, the laborers are each paid, starting with those hired last. They are given penny. The laborers who were hired first thing in the morning anticipated a great payout since those hired at the end received what they did. When they were paid, they were also given the same amount, a penny. When they were paid, they were upset, "Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day."
In my attempt to understand this parable better earlier this week, I read a few talks that referenced the parable and pondered these talks and the scriptural account. At one point, I began to imagine what it would be like to be among those who were hired last. I didn't think about the short amount of work they did, but rather the long time they stood there waiting and hoping to be hired. I imagined the anxiety, frustration, and even sadness they must have felt as they stood in the marketplace. They knew there was work to be done, and they wanted the work and associated rewards. I imagine that some even petitioned every employer that came that day hoping to find work. They thought of their families. They desired to provide for them and ensure that their needs were met. Yet they went almost the entire day without work. Likely, they were left with very little hope and feeling greatly discouraged.
I then imagined their great joy as they were sought that last hour to work. Finally.
I imagined that they quite possibly ran to the vineyard and from the moment they entered the field, they worked harder than any of the other workers. They earned their reward.
I am no longer envious of the laborers hired in the eleventh hour. Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints my entire life, I am counted among the laborers hired first thing in the morning. I have been blessed and privileged to be guaranteed work. I didn't have to wonder if I would receive the opportunity to provide for the needs of myself and my family; I've been provided that opportunity from the start. I am blessed to know the truth. I experience great joy every day because of my knowledge and testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The instructor then asked a class member a question that lead to the most beautiful testimony I have ever heard. This gentleman, a convert of just about one year, comes from a difficult background as evidenced by his gang tattoos. He bore witness that his life changed when he received and began reading the Book of Mormon. He said that he wanted God in his life, but he struggled to find him. He found Him when he found the Book of Mormon and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He bore a simple yet very profound testimony. I cannot remember all the words he said (despite the fact that I desire to do so and began recording the experience as soon as I got home). I cannot, however, deny the Spirit nor the increased understanding I gained regarding this parable and the Plan of Salvation. This gentleman, as evidenced tonight, deserves the same great reward as those who were called to labor early. The blessings of exaltation are available to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking

One Among the Crowd