Heeding the Prompt

I woke up Sunday morning in American Fork. I was spending my last weekend before school started at my friend's house. She and I were living the easy life. She had taken Saturday off of work--her first in months. We watched movies, went shopping, went out to eat, but mostly talked. I didn't have any responsibilities. I had planned to remain in this state of freedom and relaxation one more day.
I woke up Sunday morning at eight planning to attend church at nine at any nearby chapel. As I lay on the couch, I felt prompted by the Spirit to get in my car and drive home.
I was enjoying my stay. I didn't want to leave. I didn't even know why I should leave.
I started gathering my stuff. Within fifteen minutes, I was on my way home.
The sky was full of storm clouds and it was still a little dark. I couldn't believe I was leaving. As I approached Payson, it started to snow. When I got to the South Santaquin exit, I was too scared to continue. The snow was coming down quickly and I seemed to be the only car on the road. I thought to myself, the other drivers must know something I don't. I exited the freeway and called home.
I asked my mother to look up the road and weather conditions while I waited on the off-ramp. As I watched the snow come down, I was glad I wasn't driving. I become very anxious driving in winter conditions. Yet, I couldn't shake the overwhelming urge to get back on the road and continue to drive home.
I said a prayer in my heart. I told God that I knew He could work miracles and asked Him to work a miracle in my life. I asked Him to calm my fears and allow me to make it home safely.
As I looked back to the freeway in preparation to start driving again, I noticed that what used to be empty road was now filled with multiple cars. This was just the evidence I needed to know that it was safe to drive. Despite the fact that my mother still hadn't called me back with road conditions and weather reports, I knew that it was okay to get back on the freeway.
I continued my drive with snow falling heavily around me, yet I was surprisingly calm. I sang along with the "Sunday" sounds on the radio. I felt peace.
I still didn't know why I was driving home.
Just as approached Cedar City, I got a text message from a girl at church. She was supposed to play the piano for the congregational singing that day. She said that she couldn't make it to church and asked if I could play in her place. She and I are the only piano players, so of course I had to say yes. After I responded in the affirmative, I began to question whether I'd even be able to make it in time. I was wearing my pajamas and had less than an hour to travel about 50 miles. Just then, it began to hail. I made some phone calls and found a someone willing to play some prelude music, but she didn't feel comfortable playing for the congregation. I had to make it in time for the opening hymn.
I again asked for divine intervention so that I could make it on time. I walked through the chapel doors with only seconds to spare. I set the organ stops as the congregation was welcomed and the opening hymn announced. I played beautifully, far better than I imagined under the rushed circumstances.
After the second hymn, I sat in the reverence of the meeting and realized why I had been prompted to return home that day. I was there to play the organ. My playing contributed to the spirit of the meeting. I was reminded that as I try to live my life in accordance to the gospel and seek the Holy Spirit, that I can be prompted to be in the right place at the right time so that I can share my talents and testimony with those around me.
I testify that we can receive personal revelation and that God does speak to us through promptings
of the Holy Ghost. We carry out the work of God.
Playing the organ seems like such a simple thing, but I knew it was the most important thing I could have been doing that day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking

One Among the Crowd