Save Us Now!

The inspiration for this post came partly from an address given by Thomas B. Griffith called "The Root of Christianity".
I vacationed in Peru a couple of years ago. I arrived in the middle of the night. After a short sleep, my Peruvian friend met me at my hotel. We skirted about town tending to the business of securing my accomodations for my lengthy stay.
It was Sunday. I wanted to go to church. I had a list of churches and meeting times, but I wasn't sure what part of Lima we were in exactly. After the service meeting hours passed, I insisted that I be taken to any church for the opportunity to worship. Finally, almost at day's end, he took me to a Catholic service.
My friend is Catholic, and I was excited to attend a service with him. We arrived late. For being the sixth service of the day in that particular chapel, it was quite full. I wondered if the other attendees had done as we had done, putting off their church attendance until after other business was completed.
I knew barely a handful of Spanish words and phrases, but I wanted to at least participate in the hymn singing. My friend stood at the back of the room. I should have insisted we sit with the congregation, but it was hard just to get there.
During the service, the priest prepared for communion. This was the first Catholic Communion I had ever witnessed. After the priest received the communion, those that also wanted to partake lined up to receive communion from the priest. I noticed that only a select few lined up. I asked my friend a few questions quietly. He said that only those who wanted to partake lined up. He also said he only partakes of communion two or three times a year.
This suprised me and even broke my heart.
The Book of Mormon, another testament of Jesus Christ, is "a record of God’s dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains, as does the Bible, the fulness of the everlasting gospel." Recorded in the latter section of the Book of Mormon is the descension of the Lord Jesus Christ shortly after His resurrection to show himself unto these people and to establish His gospel. Like unto the people of Israel, they knew of His coming.
"Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well please, in whom I have glorified my name--hear ye him.
"And it came to pass, as they understood they cast their eyes up again towards heaven; and behold, they saw a Man descending out of heaven; and he was clothed in a white robe; and he came down and stood in the midst of them; and the eyes of the whole multitude were turned upon him, and they durst not open their mouths, even one to another, and wist not what it meant, for they thought it was an angel that had appeard unto them.
"And it came to pass that he stretched forth his hand and spake unto the people, saying:
"Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.
"And behold, I am the light and life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.
"And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words the whole multitude fell to the earth; for they remembered that it had been prophesied among them that Christ should show himself unto them after his ascension into heaven." (3 Nephi 11: 7-12)
They knew Jesus Christ as the one who was prophesied to come. Recognizing this, they fell to the earth.
Note the response that comes after they receive another witness.
"And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto them saying:
"Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.
"And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into this side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come.
"And when they had all gone forth and had witnessed for themselves, they did cry out with one accord, saying:
"Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God! And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus, and did worship him." (3 Nephi 11:13-17)
The people again fell to the earth, but this time they cried Hosanna! or translated meaning Save Us Now!
What was the difference?
The different reaction comes because of the physical contact the people had with the emblems of the Sacrifice. Everyone of the 2,500 people present thrust their hands in His side and felt the nail prints in His hands and feet. They felt the marks that represented His triumph over death. At this time, they knew Jesus Christ not only as the one prophesied to come but also as their Savior. He had the power to save them from death and through His atonement from their spiritual separation from God.
We, too, can have that physical contact with the emblems of the Sacrifice each week as we partake of the Sacrament. During our Sacrament Meeting, we are given the bread that represents His body and the water that represents His blood. The holy Sacrament is administered by those called of God having authority and brought to each member in the congregation.
We can touch these emblems and receive witness that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. We can all cry out Hosanna!
Jesus has the power to save. He triumphed over death and has atoned for every one of our sins. We can be made perfect through Him. Salvation comes through Jesus Christ. He is "the way, the truth, and the life" and "there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ."
Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer. These things I know to be true because I have received a personal witness from the Holy Ghost. I testify of these truths in the sacred name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking

One Among the Crowd