A Jeep's Wisdom

As my mom was finishing her two Master's programs, she decided to reward her own hard work by purchasing her dream car--a bright red Jeep.

Her Jeep is the fanciest car anyone in my family has ever owned. It has heated leather seats, power everything, radio/CD controls on the steering wheel, a sunroof, and many other things we had only seen in the movies.

Her Jeep is also ridiculously smart. The Jeep's message board tells you which direction you are facing, how many miles until the gas tank is empty, and when to change the oil.

I freaked out the day the message board told us the spare tire had low air pressure. How does the Jeep know that? Sure enough, when we checked it, the spare tire needed 8 psi.

My mother and I were going for a ride in her fancy red Jeep. My mother was telling me that she was stressed, depressed, and overwhelmed. She asked me what she could do to gain control and find peace in her life.

Before I could answer, the Jeep chimed in with an answer. We recognized the noise as that which accompanies a new message. We both looked up at the Jeep's message board to read "Perform Service."

President Spencer W. Kimball said, "Service to others deepens and sweetens this life while we are preparing to live in a better world. It is by serving that we learn to serve.
When we are engaged in the service of our fellowmen, not only do our deeds assist them, but we put our own problems in a fresher perspective. When we concern ourselves more with others, there is less time to be concerned with ourselves! In the midst of the miracle of serving, there is the promise of Jesus that by losing ourselves, we find ourselves!
The Lord does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other. The righteous life is achieved as we magnify our view of life, and expand our view of others and of our own possibilities. Thus, the more we follow the teachings of the Master, the more enlarged our perspective becomes. We see many more possibilities for service than we would have seen without this magnification. There is great security in spirituality, and we cannot have spirituality without service!" (emphasis added)

My mother followed the Jeep's wise counsel. As she performed service, the promised blessings of service were made manifest in her life.

Comments

Unknown said…
Katie my friend and sister. That was AMAZING. I think you should submit it to the Ensign for the stories in the back. You are a great example to me and I love and appreciate you in my life. Thank you for sharing yet another inspiring story.

Jodi
B and B Slack said…
I agree with Jodi...and hooray for an update! It made my night :)

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Marked Path

Come, Follow Me: First Sunday Counsel Meetings Note Taking

One Among the Crowd